Finding an organic, natural moisturizer for oily skin or acne prone skin isn’t easy. The best natural moisturizer, preferably also with a high amount of organic ingredients – now that’s even a bit of a challenge. I’ve tried so many moisturizers in my teenage years and twenties! Most of them weren’t at all natural, let alone organic.
Many not-so-natural moisturizers for oily skin with acne make being oil-free their main selling point. Mattifying and oil-free, those terms sound like music to your ears when your skin is shiny and producing more than enough oil by itself, right?
Here’s an unexpected idea: Strip away your skin’s oil and it makes even more.
When you have oily skin, perhaps prone to acne flare-ups, the last thing you want to do is stimulate your skin to produce even more sebum. When you use an aggressive and drying face care routine, that’s precisely what happens. Sebum is the skin’s own oil, keeping skin supple and glowing. Overproduction of sebum causes skin to be shiny with enlarged pores. The most commonly used facial cleansers for oily or acne prone skin contain harsh ingredients. These strip away all of the skin’s natural oils. Of course, you don’t want to be walking around with a shiny face – and that’s why getting rid of all possible oil seems like a good idea.
There’s just one issue with that approach.
If the skin gets degreased drastically and (twice) daily, it will keep producing more and more oil to make up for the stripping. That seems to be necessary (from the skin’s point of view) – because it ends up with zero oil at least once or twice a day! Add to the aggressive cleansing a drying (sometimes so-called ‘mattifying’) moisturizer, made of harsh chemicals and synthetics and your face basically just doesn’t know what hits it. Out of pure despair, it produces even more sebum to protect itself. Redness, flakiness and itching are possible effects as well.
We all know the classic three steps of a complete face care ritual, right?
Cleansing. Find an overview of the very best natural and organic face cleansers for oily and acne prone skin right here. They cleanse gently and do not radically (and twice daily) strip away all of the skin’s own natural oils.
Moisturizing. More on the best natural moisturizer for oily skin, with or without acne, below.
The Best Natural Moisturizer for Oily Skin or Acne Prone Skin, with (at least some) Organic Ingredients
What to use as a facial moisturizer, when your skin is subject to acne flare-ups, or just oily in general?
The first ground-breaking idea here is to not be afraid of oil. As you’ve probably seen coming by now, a great all natural and organic moisturizer is not oil-free. On the contrary, the right oils (in combination with essential oils for acne) can help restore the skin’s balance. An organic moisturizer provides the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory elements needed to take care of blemishes, while being just nutritious enough, which is important even for an oily skin. Their botanical ingredients come from organic agriculture and are not contaminated with any pesticide residue.
The trick? When the skin’s sebum is continuously stripped away, it tries to compensate for that loss by producing even more. From the use of natural, organic vegetable oils to moisturize the skin, it will get the ‘message’ that there’s plenty oil to go around. Producing less sebum as a result, decreasing the skin’s oiliness.
Sounds wild, crazy, revolutionary…? Only in our modern times. For ages humans have been using oils to pamper their body and take care of all sorts of skin issues. Oils can heal, both essential and vegetable oils are used in natural and organic moisturizers. Who would have thought oil may be one of the best allies to help your skin clear up?
A widely spread assumption is that oil clogs pores. That is absolutely not true. On the contrary, oil dissolves oil and oil can even be used to clean the skin.
Two things are interesting to point out here: the difference between mineral oil and vegetable oils, and the different properties of vegetable oils compared to each other.
- Mineral oil is made of petroleum and is present in most face care product these days. You can find it on labels in various forms, under many different names. Petrolatum, paraffin, paraffinum liquidum, propylene glycol, or just plain vaseline are some examples. These heavily processed and chemically altered substances are so widely used, that you have to make a serious effort to find all natural, organic skin care products. Mineral oil is known for ‘coating’ the skin, blocking all passage of air and nutrients. Skin care experts who are pro mineral oil say that this coating is actually a good thing, sometimes, because it doesn’t let moisture escape either. I don’t understand why one would be so happy with a product that has no therapeutic value at all (except for sealing in moisture) when vegetable oil lets the skin breathe, all while being nourishing, moisturizing and healing. Botanical oils have healing properties, which makes them great assets in helping to improve a wide range of skin conditions, including oily skin and acne.
- Different vegetable oils have different grades of ‘heaviness’. Some are more adapted to oily and acne prone skin, whereas others are so densely packed with nutrients, that they may be on the heavy side. Those are better for dry skin and cold winters. Organic jojoba oil is a great choice for oily and acne prone skin. So are organic hemp oil, grape seed oil and sweet almond oil. Kukui oil is wonderful for skin problems and hazelnut oil is known to be astringent (decreasing pore size).
So, what is the best natural moisturizer for oily skin/acne prone skin?
The one product I would love to be able to tell my 16-year-old-self about: The Herbal Facial Oil for oily and acne prone skin by Annmarie Gianni.
It is an organic/wildharvested, natural moisturizer for oily skin made with 30 different vegetable oils, herbs and botanical extracts, all of which are from organic agriculture or wild harvested. The concept of applying an oil to your (already oily) face sounds like the strangest idea indeed. As explained above – it could potentially show itself to be the very best thing that has happened to your face in a long time. We all have different skin, with different needs, but this organic moisturizer can make a difference if you have oily skin, with or without blemishes. It contains echinacea, neem and basil, in hazelnut oil and many other healing herbs.
Herbal Facial Oil for Oily & Acne Prone Skin INCI Ingredients
Love, herb oil (grape seed oil, white willow bark, rosemary, barberry bark, neem, green tea, basil, bitter orange peel, echinacea, hibiscus flower, goji berry, milk thistle seed, licorice root), fractionated coconut oil, hazelnut oil, passion fruit oil, carrot seed oil, pettigrain oil, rice bran oil, vitamin E tocopherols, buriti fruit oil, red raspberry seed oil, cranberry seed oil, rosehip extract, rosehip seed extract, carrot extract, clementine oil, litsea cubeba oil, frangipani oil, rosemary oleoresin. Organic or Wildcrafted.
Good news is that you can try a sample (with free wordwide shipping) and figure out for yourself whether this oil works as an appropriate organic moisturizer for your skin in particular.
Annmarie Gianni’s organic skin care line is alcohol free.
Miessence makes an organic moisturizer for oily and acne prone skin, as part of their purifying skin essentials pack. The essentials pack is a trio of a cleanser, a conditioner a.k.a. toner and a moisturizer, all completely natural and organic.
Miessence Purifying Moisturizer INCI Ingredients
certified organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, aqua (purified water), certified organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, certified organic butyrospermum parkii (shea) fruit butter, certified organic ethanol (sugar cane), non-gmo lecithin, sclerotium rolfsii gum, citrus aurantium amara (bitter orange) fruit extract, certified organic olea europaea (olive) juice extract, santalum album (sandalwood) essential oil, certified organic lavandula angustifolia (lavender) essential oil, certified organic melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) essential oil, Non-GMO Xanthan Gum, certified organic olea europaea (olive) extract, certified organic backhousia citriadora (lemon myrtle) essential oil, certified organic calendula officinalis flower C02 extract, certified organic arctium lappa (burdock) extract, certified organic plantago major (plaintain) extract, certified organic hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) leaf extract, certified organic echinacea purpurea flower extract, certified organic urtica dioica (nettle) extract.
Unfortunately, Miessence used to have sample sachets available online, but they no longer do. Bummer. Skin care is so personal, that trying it out is kind of crucial. Miessence team, if you’re reading this… hint hint.
Just Natural’s Acne Facial Day Cream is another option, if you prefer a cream over a facial oil. It definitely deserves a mention as best natural moisturizer for oily skin, and is one of the most natural ones you’ll find – although the ingredients are not organic. This one you can’t sample either. It’s a bit cheaper than Miessence though, for roughly the same amount. In the evening it can be paired up with the Natural Night Acne Treatment, which comes in the form of an oil. As much as I like cheering on the concept of a facial oil, if you prefer creams you could of course use Just Natural’s Acne Facial Day Cream for day and night.
Acne Facial Day Cream INCI Ingredients
Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Green Tea Extract, Olive Leaf Extract, Kukui Nut Oil, Hazelnut Oil, Vegetable Emulsifier, Essential Oils of Tea Tree, Manuka, Lavender, Geranium Rose, Lemongrass, Vitamin E.
Just Natural’s organic moisturizer for acne prone skin is alcohol free as well.
Which of these is the best natural moisturizer for your skin…?
For good reason, Annmarie Gianni, one of the best organic skin care lines, has created a facial oil to treat oily and acne prone skin. It contains the most healing extracts and infused herbals. However, if using oil as a facial moisturizer just isn’t your thing, Miessence’s purifying moisturizer or Just Natural’s acne facial day cream may just be the perfect all natural organic moisturizer for you.
Miessence Purifying Moisturizer – Quick Facts
- Rather thin and runny, more like a lotion.
- Easily available worldwide, even though the price tag on the European site is much higher for the same product.
- Contains organic alcohol.
- The main essential oils used in this organic moisturizer are lavender, tea tree and sandalwood.
- Organic ingredients – check. Overall sustainability of the company – check. They like to brag about having a carbon negative footprint, which means they contribute to the environment more than they ‘use’. If there’s one thing worth bragging about, this is it!
Just Natural Acne Facial Day Cream in a Nutshell
- Thicker in consistency.
- Made with essential oils of tea tree, manuka, lavender, geranium rose and lemongrass.
- Contains no alcohol and no water, only aloe vera juice.
- Just Natural also has a very large collection of natural organic hair care products.
- No international shipping available, US only.
The only organic moisturizer you can actually try out before getting a full size is Annmarie Gianni’s facial oil for oily and acne prone skin. Especially if you have never used a facial oil before, but also if you’ve had a less good experience with oil in the past, I would advise anyone with oily skin or acne to give this oil a shot. It’s just … different. It contains so many healing plant extracts, all of which play a key role in reducing inflammation and fighting infection. My own experience with this facial oil is that it makes imperfections noticeably less red and swollen over night.
What’s so great about Annmarie Gianni’s Herbal Facial Oil?
- First off, the fact that it is an oil.
- If you want less oily skin, don’t strip it away. Instead, give your skin the message there’s plenty to go around.
- And then there’s another reason to love a facial oil. The making of a cream/lotion/any kind of emulsion brings along a few challenges. Just Natural uses a vegetable emulsifier to bind the oil and water based parts of the cream, even if the water-based component here is only Aloe juice. They rely entirely on essential oils for preservation. Miessence uses alcohol for preservation, which some experts believe isn’t too good for the skin. Both are still very nice moisturizers and so much better than most of the junk out there. I’m just saying this is another reason why I gravitate towards Annmarie Gianni’s Herbal Facial Oils. Also, my grandmother used to take care of her face with an oil and she had amazing skin up to the age of 96.
- I guess the choice of botanical extracts make this cocktail very result-oriented. I found the effect on blemishes quite impressive. [Read extended review here.]
- Obviously, a big plus is the option to sample this organic moisturizer in trial size. Why don’t all organic skin care lines do that…?
- International shipping is available, but the costs get rather steep when ordering from outside the US.
Have you tried any of these organic/ natural moisturizers for oily & acne prone skin? Got other natural organic skin care tips to share? I’d love to hear from you!